Sunday, August 18, 2019

Cardboard Luigi Mario Cart Costume
I loved how this turned out. Mostly, because my 8 year old thought it was sooooo cool:)lol 
Supplies/Tools: Kirkland Size 3 Diaper box, 1 Home Depot medium boxes, 2 paper plates, 2 paper bowls, 1 white poster board, 2 styrofoam cones (walmart craft section), rotary board, utility knife, hot glue gun and MANY glue sticks, polyester foam filling, yellow felt, White Primer spray paint, acrylic paint, straps from an old carseat (you can buy straps at Joann's Fabric, usually in the ribbon isle)
I wrapped styrofoam cones with postboard to make the "Mufflers", then stuffed them with polyester filling and covered with yellow felt to give it a domed look.
The wheels were a trial and error process. In the end I used a dinner plate and a kids plate as stencils for the size. The wheels were attached by stacking and gluing squares to the frame and then gluing the wheel to the squares, so the wheels aren't hollow. 
The tread on the wheels is cereal boxes, but I could have used the poster board for that. Later, I used a hot glue gun and covered them with black fleece, which gave them texture and was easier than painting several coats.
In this pic you can see how I reinforced the seams with small 1x2 inch pieces of cardboard. Make a crease in the middle and then glue both sides to the seam for strength.

This was the Priming stage. I used a spray paint primer for speed.
I also used spray paint for the green and blue, but if I did it again I would use acrylic paint and a sponge brush. Taping everything was a nightmare.

The outfit was purchased from Walmart. Honestly, her excitement made all the work so worth it.


The Crew ready to go Trick or Treating! We also  did Pegasus Unicorn, Monster Truck and Baby Elephant.






No comments:

Post a Comment