Sunday, August 18, 2019

Cardboard Elephant Costume
Last year I started a fun adventure into the world of cardboard costumes. I did a little research into cardboard sculpture/art and decided I would start with a simple box, and then manipulate that basic shape. My tools were simple: a rotary board, a box cutter/utility knife, a hot glue gun, MANY  hot glue sticks, pink felt, tulle fabric, straps, and a few cardboard boxes. I started with the simplest costume, an elephant:) I apologize that I didn't take step by step pictures, but I think these will suffice. 
 In these pics you can see all the seams where the cardboard was connected with hot glue.
 The ears are connected by cutting a slit in the hollow head, and the ear and then sliding them into eachother.

The most important thing I learned in the process what that I needed to strengthen everywhere I made a seam. Take a small 1x2 inch piece of cardboard, pinch it in half and then glue it into the seams.


 The next step was getting them ready to paint. I started with a spray paint primer, so none of the decals on the homedepot boxes would show through.
 Spray paint. I had to apply SO MANY COATS. Be careful, it can drip.
 The Pink on the noseand tail is felt I hot glued on. The bows are white tulle.

I had grand plans for a cute outfit she could wear with her Elephant, but that went out the window:) lol. She was joined by Mario Cart Luigi, Pegasus Unicorn, and Monster Truck. Trick or Treating here we go!


No comments:

Post a Comment